Re: [linux-audio-user] Maybe coming ack.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Maybe coming ack.
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 21:29:04 EEST

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:47:40AM -0700, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> What I really, really need is for someone with the skills and patience
> to sit down with me and the PC, and my hardware (Roland UA-30 USB Audio
> Interface, Iomega USB Zip-CD burner, Midiman Oxygen 8 USB MIDI keyboard,

That may be part of the reason you haven't found this list as helpful
as we'd like. USB audio on Linux is kind of a new thing. Many of us
(myself included) don't own *any* USB audio or midi devices.
So I can't really make many concrete suggestions on that.

For the CD burner at least, I'd suggest checking comp.os.linux.hardware
where you will reach a *much* larger audience. Start by
checking the archives - use the advanced search at groups.google.com,
put in "comp.os.linux.hardware" for the group, and start trying
search strings e.g. "USB Zip-CD".

> briefly), and would like to port my mail back from Eudora to Sylpheed.

I don't know about Eudora, but I've found that Netscape mailboxes
can be read just fine from various unix mail readers
including Mutt (my favorite). So I'd suggest the first thing
to try would be just copy a Eudora file and try to open it and
see what happens. You might get lucky. I can't help beyond that...
don't know eudora or sylpheed.

> (BTW, I found that my /etc/fstab *hadn't* been hosed -- I was so
> frazzled by the time that I wrote that message that I didn't realize
> that I was catting the /etc/fstab from a different system that I was
> ssh'ed into!)

Ah, I've done that. Very frustrating! One help is to have a prompt
that always tells you the hostname, and make sure you HAVE a hostname
(not just localhost). RedHat has a pretty sensible default prompt
in /etc/bashrc, though the code that sets it is pretty hard to
decipher. You set the prompt by setting the $PS1 environment
variable. More info is in the Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.

As to setting the hostname, read the Config-HOWTO. Hostname
has its own section there, and it's a very clear step-by-step
procedure. Follow that and you should get the new hostname
on your next boot. to set it immediately, just run:
/bin/hostname my_new_host_name

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"