Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and usb-audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and usb-audio
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 18:22:48 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:47:07PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>>>the CD
>>>plays but stutters, with it sounding like the sound is cutting in and
>>>out at a steady pace several times a second. Any clues?
>>>

>>Firstly which alsaplayer version are you using?
>

> alsaplayer-0.99.71-1

This is a newer version so you need to do the things below. The reason
that the cdda menu option is still on the menu is because Andy has
probably forgotten to take it out or make it unaccesible (same thing
really). The playlist is where it is at these days for accessing songs
in alsaplayer.

Of course if you want more help on getting alsaplayer to work the
alsaplayer-devel mailing list would be the place to ask questions.

It may be that one day we get around to making that button work again
but for the mean time you should use the technique I describe below.

The other option is to use xmms and get the cdda plugin.

>>mkdir cdtrks
>>cd cdtrks
>>touch "track01.cdda" "track02.cdda" ....
>>

> Hmm... if the user needs to do this to play the CD tracks, what is the
> "CD player (CDDA)" menu option supposed to do?
>
>>From what little I know of the needed programming, it seems to me that
> a simple shell script could be set to run when a CD is inserted (using
> whatever mechanism pops the default CD player up now) that would do
> those steps you mention. But it seems outside my programming chops.

This is a long way to do it. We have the mechanism inside alsaplayer to
do it we are just busy or lazy.

>>It is worth doing but not high on the TODO list, of course if you had
>>the inclination....
>

> Well, as someone mentioned here, not everyone is a hacker...

That is correct.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur