Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 10:00:52 EEST

Hi,
Michael Krusch hat gesagt: // Michael Krusch wrote:

> But when I try to install alsaconf and libasound2-dev apt-get tells me
> something like unmet dependencies. I think that is related to beta
> status of demudi.

Where did you get Demudi from? Maybe this is the old version from last
year...

> I saw same packages with lowlat-ending. Is there an easier way to get a
> low latency kernel with debian then with other distibutions?

I, although I'm a Debian follower, I have to admit: SuSE already has a
LowLat kernel in the newest version. Unless someone makes lowlat
kernel packages for Debian available, you have to compile one your
self. But this is made easy with Debian's helper tools and just
requires 3 commands. I would put my LL-kernels online, but I removed a
lot of other stuff not needed here, which maybe is needed by you.

> Then I will download debian 3.0 and try again. This will be my
> fourth distribution, I only wanna make music ;-)

Go away, buy a Mac :)

Now, you did install SuSE, you did install Debian(-MuDi), so you're
already quite experienced in this installation business.

First installation is the hardest part in Debian, after that things
become rather easy because of apt-get. You already ran into apt-get's
strictness when it comes to prohibiting the user to mis-configure a
system by installing software without all required stuff.

I see two possibilities for you to go on with Debian:

1) Dist-upgrade your Demudi

  Put a Debian mirror in /etc/apt/sources.list and run "apt-get
  dist-upgrade". Normally this is fine, and I did it regularilly, but
  I think, an dist-upgrade from Demudi might not be tested enough, so
  I wouldn't recommend this. Instead it's better to:

2) Install the now stable Debian 3.0.

  This would be the easiest, as 3.0 comes with a recent ALSA 0.9, is a
  well tested system, has more software packages than any other
  distribution on the market, is the only Free as not in Beer
  distribution, can ... <advertising goes on for minutes>

First you should then install a standard Debian maybe with your favourite
desktop and get it basically working *without* a low latency kernel.

This is important as you then have some kind of backup system to
return to if something went wrong when building your highly optimized
low latency kernel.

Building a custom kernel on Debian is made really easy with the Debian
"kernel-package". With the included tool "make-kpkg", you can build a
Debian package of a kernel image in three steps. As Debian uses the
official unpatched kernel sources, you can apply for example Andrew
Mortons LL-patch without problems and without rejects coming from
other patches.

If you have build a custom kernel-package, you can install and
de-install this package (only if you still have another kernel-package
installed) with the standard Debian tools.

If you want to try it this way, I and lots of others here will help
you with further questions, but I would recommend anyone to also join
a mailing list on his/her kind of distribution.

ciao,