Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)

Subject: Re: From the Gentoo front, (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Demudi and alsa)
From: Robert Brown (sbg_AT_twcny.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 13:45:19 EEST

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:34:56 -0400
Richard Seymour <nutate_AT_speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I really think you should try out Gentoo(.org) linux. I just tossed
> it on a machine here at work, and it comes with the latest greatest
> kernel available with all sorts of crazy patches, from grsecurity to
> low latency to preemtible kernel, etc. Based on the ac kernel series.
> They also offer vanilla kernels.
>
> I can't hype it enough.

I have to agree 1000%. Not only does Gentoo excell because of the fact
that you have several high performance kernels at your fingertips, but
also because everything is built from source with optimizations for
*your* system. Gentoo performs noticeably better than binary_based
distros on most systems for this very reason.

The BSD style ports system (portage) allows you to build apps from
source, using your own custom optimized settings with a single command
line. You can also update your base system and every installed program
in the same manner;).

While you are correct that not all "must-have' apps are available,
it's not a big deal really because since portage uses "ebuild" scripts
that are not very difficult to write and submit for inclusion in the
official portage tree. They have an ebuild how-to on Gentoo.org, and of
course you can always just skip the ebuild and build from source as
well.

Gentoo does take a while (hours) to install though. Some may consider
this a downside, but I think its worth the performance advantage of
building everything from source. Also, Gentoo is bleeding edge, so
has the potential to be less stable, although I have not had any
stability issues and have been running Gentoo full time since March.
In the event that some new version of a particular app becomes unstable
I can always safely revert to the pervious stable ebuild since portage
is designed to clean up after itself nicely.

I could go on, but I am probably OT now ;p

The docs are excellent though! the
mailing lists and forums are friendly and helpful.