Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] best audio distribution?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 12:27:51 EEST

Hi,
Howard Sanner hat gesagt: // Howard Sanner wrote:

> I've been a long-time lurker here. A friend who is a well-known
> recording engineer and former member of Toscanini's NBC Symphony has
> asked me which Linux distribution to get for audio.

The Institute of Infonomics in Netherlands did a big survey among
Open Source and Free Software Developers, which you can read at
http://www.infonomics.nl/FLOSS/report/Final4.htm

    48 percent prefered Debian
    13.8 percent favoured Redhat,
    9.8% spoke for Mandrake and
    9.2% for SusE.

But only around 1.9 percent of the participants worked in the field of
audio programming. Nevertheless, as audio software still is in heavy
development, Debian might be a favourite there as well...

Personally I think, that developers favour Debian because they don't
care much about an easy first installation, but they think a working
and stable upgradability is crucial for their systems. They probably
install the whole system only once, but they need current software
packages all the time.

Anyways an interesting study.

ciao