Re: [linux-audio-user] linux on laptop problem was Re: best audio distribution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] linux on laptop problem was Re: best audio distribution?
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 13:58:59 EEST

On 22 Aug 2002 11:54:02 +0100
m <m_AT_irixx.org> wrote:

>i'm also having this problem on my desktop machine although i'd
>originally assumed it was because i'd crammed it full of devices. but
>now i'm wondering if its a Mandrake thing - it has only started
>happening since Mdk 8.1 - before then i had no problems (bar a couple
>of little hacks i used to put in to /etc/modules.conf get things
>going)...
>
>any ideas?... please help!

hmm. just a guess, but some people on this list ( including me ) had
problems with mandrake 8.1 and sound devices due to devfs being enabled
by default. Are you running devfs on this box? It should show up when
you run 'top' if you are, and you'll have a line in /etc/lilo.conf that
sais something like : append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=mount quiet". If you
want to turn it off, just change the 'mount' to 'nomount', run lilo, and
reboot.

hope this is at all relevant - you don't actually say what problems you
are having, so this reply is just guesswork based on the mention of mandrake 8.1.

jordan.