Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gnome/Alsa installation?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 05:22:41 EEST

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 05:19:33PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> note, i don't think the rpm format has a concept of "suggestions" and
> "dependencies" like debian does. the rpm format simply has
> "dependencies". so if you attempt to uninstall esound on redhat,
> mandrake or suse, rpm may simply refuse to do so without a --forcing the
> issue.

You're reminding me of one of the major gripes I had
with RedHat. I never wanted to run esd, did not want it installed
but it was constantly listed as a requirement for the silliest
things (mail clients and the like). RedHat would do
well to add a "suggestion" feature to RPM.

--

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"