[linux-audio-user] unwanted noise in soundcard

Subject: [linux-audio-user] unwanted noise in soundcard
From: dplist_AT_free.fr
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 04:48:25 EEST

Hello all,

I own a M-Audio Delta 66 + Omni I/O (breakout + preamp box) that I
use with alsa-drivers-0.9rc3. jackd, ardour, envy24control seem to
work fine but I can hear unwanted noise in both left and right
monitoring channels. The noise is sometimes very present, sometimes less
noticeable. At boot time, it appears when the alsa drivers are inserted
into the kernel. When playing with envy24control, I can shut most of the
noise off by setting the DAC 2 and 3 volumes to 0. But I can still hear
some pops, when playing a CD for example, and it _seems_ that changing X
workspace triggers a denser noise. When recording, the pops are saved
along with my actual playing. When spawning jackd, most of the noise
goes away but reappears gradually as I use ardour. I know this is not a
very precise description, I'm sorry I haven't found better symptoms to
describe.

Following an adivce from a kind person on IRC, I gave a try to the
4Front binary drivers and the noise did not go away. I cannot test
the card from within WinXY (I don't have it).

I begin to think this is a hardware problem, but before going through
the long process of sending it back to the reseller, I'd like to
hear your opinion. Has anyone faced such an issue ? Could it be driver
related ? Or caused by some strange hardware issue or conflict on the
PCI bus (VIA powered) ? I don't know.

For your info, here is my hw config :

T-Bird Athlon 900MHz
IDE disks and cdroms