Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: Rob Kudla (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 15:06:03 EEST

On Sunday 25 August 2002 21:12, Brian Redfern wrote:
> good enough and has both audio and midi, I've seen that people have been
> using roland usb midi devices,

For what it's worth, I have the Roland UA-30 (USB, analog, optical and
coax) and it's a rebranded Edirol device. I hadn't tried it under Linux
as my laptop's win98, but I just now plugged it into my partner's Mandrake
8.2 box to try it out.

First thing I noticed is his USB mouse froze up, and of course the UA-30
didn't get autodetected (Does ANY Linux distribution autodetect hotplugged
USB devices yet?) I switched to a console and ran kudzu, and it detected
as a "UA-30 44100 KHz USB", I think it said. However, the mouse was still
frozen up and restarting X didn't help, so I rebooted.

Upon restarting KDE had automagically picked the UA-30 as the default
audio device and I was able to record and play back a few simple sounds.
I didn't try any full duplex stuff because all I really have to record
with is Audacity and it doesn't do full duplex yet under Linux in 1.1.
But the UA-30 does work and sounds fine (on this Athlon 900 with 512MB of
RAM; on my 366MHz notebook I had to do some tweaking to win98 DMA settings
to get rid of the crackle.)

Rob