Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: wes schreiner (wes_AT_infosink.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 04:53:34 EEST

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

IBM ThinkPad 600E, type 2645-4AU, 366 mobile PII, 192M, 6G

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

Crystal Semiconductor CS4239, but IBM kinda wired it up funny.

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

ALSA 0.9.0-beta12 because Debian has a nice source package for this version.

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

USB audio, I'm using a Griffin iMic with the old USB audio madule, not
the new ALSA one.

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze

(B) First set up the OSS driver, that was pretty easy but since that
driver was targeted for a CS4231 it was missing some of the features of
the CS4239, so I installed ALSA. The 600E is a bit tricky to get
internal sound working right, but once it's done it's done. USB audio
was very easy to get working, just one kernel recompile. I'm running
Debian Woody with self-compiled kernels.

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
>composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
>Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

Some listening with XMMS, both local and streaming. Hard disk recording
with the iMic and an outboard analog mixer, room analysis with the
non-free spectrum analyzer baudline, minor editing (mostly I edit on a
faster desktop).

> 6) Anything else ?

The speakers are tinny, but with headphones it sounds great, both the
internal sound chip and the iMic. I think I can drive a little harder
with the internal sound, there's not much output drive in the iMic for
headphones, but plenty for driving line level inputs. The only sound
problem I have now is with artsd under KDE, and that's a software
problem (it crackles until I restart artsd).

wes