Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: marco trevisani (marco_AT_centrotemporeale.it)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 05:53:38 EEST

Hi Dave,

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 01:12:04PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

Toshiba 5005-S504 and S5100-201
(basic difference between these two are:
201 P4 / S504 P3
201 bluetooth builtin / S504 no.
There are not relevant differences, a part for these, so i will refer to 504)
in any case, for a more general description i have a page at www.mobilix.org

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

I don't know why in the toshiba manuals, specs etc... it is mentioned as yamaha
...like 90% of laptops it came with a Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97.
This too was suppose to output 48K only, in fact kernel sould module i810 result to
be a nightmare. AlSA started right away...after the usual fight with ACPI - another
legacy free machine...- It took from november 2001 till january 2002 to fix that.

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

ALSA

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

I should try soon B & C

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze

 B - if you consider "a little work" == three months

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
> Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

Composing, PD, clm, snd, audacity, mix (lately replaced by audacity), xmms,
audio/video recording and as well as for communication (speakfreely).

> 6) Anything else ?

Very good built in speakers (when i say "very good" i refer to average built in
speakers...it even comes with a subwoofer on the underside of the machine).
Line in , Mic in , Phone out , line out , optical digital out (last one i never had
the chance to test it...), plus firewire, works with video, unfortunatelly no
firewire cards are supported by GNU/Linux....for now.
Output quality, via output line, is not trmendously disgusting...:-)

        ciao,
        marco

* marco trevisani                                            *
* http://trevisani.mine.nu   marco_AT_centrotemporeale.it       *
* http://www.agnula.org -- A GNU/Linux Audio Distribution    *
* Neither MS-Word nor MS-PowerPoint attachments please:      *
* See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html *