[linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 20:12:04 EEST

Greetings:

  I'm putting the finishing touches on an article about setting up sound
on my laptop, and it occurred to me that there may be some common models
that are advisable to new users who particularly want to get decent
audio from their laptop machines. If any of you have the time to
respond, I'm curious about the following information:

    1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

    2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

    3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

    4) Are you using any of the following:
       (A) serial port MIDI interface
       (B) USB audio equipment
       (C) PCMCIA audio card

    5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
       (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
       (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
       (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze

    6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

    6) Anything else ?

Please feel free to comment as needed, e.g. "Output is good at 16-bits
but mic/line-in are hardwired to 8-bits", "Internal speakers are weak
but headphones/line-out sound good", and so forth. TIA !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org