RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ?
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 23:09:39 EET

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 12:28, Brian Redfern wrote:
> Well, you can already load in audio files and edit their pitch/tempo in
> ardour,

Thi is not true. You cannot modify a wave file's 'pitch' in Ardour, to
the best of my knowledge. I doubt you can actually modify the tempo of
an audio segment in Ardour. We just added tempo support.

and you have a multitrack layout, I don't think Ardour should
> become some kind of clone of Acid, but to me a lot of the functionality
> found in Acid is already there in the latest version of Ardour.

Yes, but every multi-track sort of app today might be able to say this.

I don't
> think a "paintbrush" is needed, and its actually less flexable to limit
> one audio file per track,

Yes, this is true, but also true for Muse or Rosegarden also.

but with the ability to edit a samples
> pitch/tempo its already got most of the necessary functionality.

I just don't see that adding this paintbrush capability to Ardour would
help the main user base of Ardour at all, but maybe I'm missing
something.