RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 23:31:24 EET

Paul,
   In the situation I was describing, (NOT ADVOCATING!) I would have a track
of audio in a tool that looked like an Ardour or Rosegarden audio track.
This track would have a wave file that repeats at some regular or irregular
interval thus making up part of a song. Assume that the audio is a bass
line, recorded in Emaj. It plays at time 0, time 10, time 20, thus making up
the song.

   The ladspa plugin is applied to this track.

   At time 30 it turns out we want the same bass pattern, but this time
played in Amaj.

   The concept would be that the ladspa plugin (which we now know exists
already as per Jesse's recent email) receives a message at time 30 that says
'scale up by a major 4th' and then at time 40 that says 'unscale the sample'
or whatever.

   Now you hear 3 riffs of the original, followed by one riff scaled up.

   To do this, you need the equivalent of some sort of automation language
at the track level so that you can say what you want scaled and when. Each
track has to be able to handle this on it's own, since these changes will
not all happen at the same time, or the same amount, per track.

   I agree that it would be possible to leave freqtweak external, and hook
the track up using qjc or something, but if I'm running 50 tracks where I'm
doing this I think that's too much work.

   I think that an 'Acid for Linux' type app might just want to have this
frequency scaling feature built into every track as it is pretty common to
use it in a tool like Acid.

Cheers,
Mark