RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Acid for Linux ? - Pitch shift
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 16:50:04 EET

Tim,
   Acid Loops are importable into Pro Tools so I don't think they are that
proprietary. Just mono or stereo wave files with some extra info. Including
these loops in Ardour or Rosegarden probably wouldn't be that difficult
technically, although Ardour would have to address stereo issue more
directly I think.

   The license agreement for Acid Loops usually says something like "The
loops are royalty free for inclusion in music you make. You may not, however
distribute them in any other form than a final completed piece of music."
Meaning you can't make copies and give them to other Acid users. Personally,
I think the libraries are inexpensive enough that people really don't need
to do that anyway.

   The biggest issue that hasn't been addressed here is that the biggest
pain with Acid is actually managing the loop library and finding what you
need. I've purchased drum loop libraries with 500 loops on a CD. How do you
find the right loop to include in your song? This is the biggest problem.
There really is no Acid solution today.

   In the hardware synth world, Roland and others have features on their
synths that allow you to find 'similar' sounds, so that when you are working
with something close, the box can suggest others. That's cool.

   With drums, however, you're looking for back beats, fills, stuff that
works in a verse or a chorus. It's a big pain in the rear.

   Some really nifty solution in that area would be really attractive.

Mark