Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: Darren Landrum (consul_AT_studioconsul.net)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 17:00:04 EET

On Sunday, December 22, 2002, at 07:38 AM, Vincent Touquet wrote:

> I don't know if we should rule out free mailboxes.
> If the process is such that it can't be automated
> (for instance you have to type in 4 numbers
> out of an image), I don't think free mailboxes
> are an issue anymore.

I'm actually inclined to agree. Okay, we won't worry about free
mailboxes, and thus we eliminate a major development headache. :)

> The major problem for these kind of services
> is people using automated tools to distribute
> pirated software and music.

Generating an image on the fly and having them write the contents of
the image into a form field? While it would still be possible to
automate that, it would be much more difficult. Does anyone object or
have any other ideas?

> Simply using `file` on the submitted files
> can also weed out .zip .rar and other
> unwanted files, should their be anyone
> trying to put anything else than a loop online.

Good point, but another issue is the way many people will prefer to
distribute their loops. Ogg Vorbis and Ogg FLAC came up as the single
best options for loops, but when it comes to sample libraries and patch
files, a gzipped (or bzipped) tarball would probably work best. The
server would then need to open compressed files to see if they contain
what they should. That probably wouldn't be too hard to do, though.

Wouldn't it really suck if people started using this to distribute
compressed files containing certain highly illegal items that shall
remain nameless here...

On a side note, I'm very pleased with the enthusiasm received with this
basic idea. After I finish moving, hopefully very soon, I will need to
start on the design in earnest and present it. Would this list still be
an acceptable place for that, or would one of the dev lists be better?
I can also see this project spawning its own mailing list...

Regards,
Darren Landrum