Re: [linux-audio-user] m-audio radium USB midi keyboard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] m-audio radium USB midi keyboard
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 20:25:53 EET

On Tue 24/12/2002 10:40:17, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hi,
> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki hat gesagt: // Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>
> > http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/radium.php
> >
> > Has anyone tried using this keyboard with linux, yet?
> >
> > I was about to buy an Oxygen 8, because I've read about several people
> > in the LAD, LAU, ALSA community using them with linux successfully. But,
> > then I saw this new Radium controller. It has 61 keys to the oxygen's
> > 25, the same 8 knobs, pitch and mod wheels, and adds 8 sliders to the
> > oxygen's 1.
> >
> > Would it be too far fetched to think that this would work as easily with
> > a linux box as the Oxygen does? I would be very happy if it would.
>
> I'm pretty sure, that it will work via the midi port. USB might be
> more difficult, I cannot speak for this.

Ok. several questions then:

Is there any drawback in terms of performance or functionality in using
the MIDI out instead of the USB connection?

If I understand things correctly using the MIDI out on the oxygen, radium
or PCR-50 would require a MIDI interface attached to my PC like one of
m-audio/midiman's portman products. Have people had good experiences with
portmans?

What are some other options?

I think I understand the difference between serial ports and parallel
ports, but which one is best for MIDI? isn't MIDI serial?

Would the MIDI interface on the PC connect to the serial or parallel
port on the motherboard? or would I use the port on my soundcard
(guillemot maxisound fortissimo -- uses alsa ymfpci driver)?

> ciao
> --
> Frank Barknecht _ ______footils.org__

Thanks Frank. and anyone else who has advice for me.

-Eric Rz.