Re: [linux-audio-user] ams, jackd & X as root? on debian

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ams, jackd & X as root? on debian
From: Jan \ (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 18:17:37 EET

Eric, Steve,

        There is an option in /etc/X11/xdm-config (if you are running xdm, kdm,
gdm) that will turn off X authorization. It is

DisplayManager._0.authorize: true

change this to false and anyone can connect. It's a bad idea though.
Doing the xhost + localhost is pretty safe but there are better
solutions. Next option - as you (local user) enter :

xauth list

This gives you a list of cookies that you can add as root to allow you
to use X. You just cut and paste the :0 and /unix cookies and do an
xauth add as root. Cleaner, yes, but it's a major pain. I'm assuming
that you are doing an su or su - to log in as root. The best thing you
can do is, instead of using su, to do ssh -l root localhost. This will
run the root user in a secure shell and will pass all X traffic
encrypted. It will use a proxy display server so there is no
authorization problem. You'll notice that your DISPLAY variable as root
is set to localhost:10.0 or something like that.

I will sometimes run as root (under fvwm2 to minimize latency problems)
but I've been doing UNIX system admin for 15 years so I feel fairly
comfortable with it. The only real danger running as root is that
you'll do something stupid (what we like to call an SOD).

Jan