Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] ams, jackd & X as root? on debian

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] ams, jackd & X as root? on debian
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 20:13:07 EET

Jan, Steve,

Thank you both for jogging[1] my memory on xauth, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIEs and
environment variables.

For running audio apps, I'm not sure I want the extra overhead of an ssh
session. The simplest solution seems to be to su, rather than su -, to
get to root. This way root inherits the XAUTHORITY and DISPLAY
environment variables from my user session and can then run X client
apps with no further config changes.[2] I can now start jackd as root and
then start ams -j. Sorry I didn't think of this earlier. :-\

Adding /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig as Steve
suggested allows ams to find libjack.so.0 (I really should have
remembered that piece, too).

Now that I have it running I'll go finish reading the ams documentation
and figure out how to use it. :)

Thank for your help,
Eric Rz.

[1]
"Fezzick, jog his memory"
<THUNK!>
< ..crumple.. >
"I'm sorry, Inigo. I didn't mean to jog him so hard."
"Inigo?"

[2]
The Remote-X-Apps mini-HOWTO gives an explanation of what's going on and
some slightly more complex (and perhaps more complete) solutions, if
anyone is interested.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps.html

6. Telling the Server
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps-6.html
7. X Applications from Another User-id
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps-7.html

Paticularly section 7.2 "Client User Is Root"