Re: [linux-audio-user] poor audio quality in tX?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] poor audio quality in tX?
From: Samuel S Chessman (chessman_AT_tux.org)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 22:16:46 EET

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Now I'm trying to switch over to using the ps/2 port but I have a
> problem with it which someone here may have encountered before. The
> mouse seems to work fine in the terminal window but when I go into x the
> pointer jumps all over the screen, brings up the desktop menu...
> basically goes crazy.
>
> I have looked into this for the past few hours and cannot find anything
> specific to it online. I have tried every combination I can think of for
> the XF86Config file too.
>
> Has anyone encountered this and know the fix?

Likely causes:
        gpm is configured and both x and gpm are using the same device
        gpm is configured, X is using /dev/gpmdata and the repeat type
                isn't raw, and X is getting the wrong mouse protocol
        gpm is configured, the repeat type for gpm is raw, X is using
                /dev/gpmdata, but protocol in XF86Config is incorrect.

Check /etc/gpm.conf repeat_type and device
Check /etc/XF86Config-4 Option "Device" and Option "Protocol"

If you are using gpm, it is recommended to set repeat_type=raw
and in XF89Config-4 use Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata" and
Option "Protocol" whatever your mouse is.

Sam

--
   Sam Chessman                                         chessman (a) tux.org
    First do what's necessary, then what's possible, finally the impossible.