Re: [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 22:48:14 EET

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:34:57PM -0500, linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net wrote:
> One thing I wanted to point out (that they taught us in the recording
> classes I took) was that in the (above) setup, it's important to put
> the mics in a "cross pattern" (like an X).

well, sometimes...
> The heads of the mics need
> to be 45 degrees apart from each other. If you don't then you can get
> "phase cancellations".

I never went to recording classes, but ...
Phase cancellations have at least as much to do with mic position
as with mic angle. angling the mics is not a magic solution.
Most cardioid mics have plenty of pickup at 90 degrees.
It sounds like what you're describing is the classic "X/Y" stereo
mic technique, with a pair of cardioids placed so that
* The mics are angled 90 degrees relative to each other, and
  45 degrees relative to "center"
* The mic heads are placed as close together as possible.

but there are other "classic" stereo techniques... mid-side,
spaced pair (usually omni), binaural...

you'll see plenty of top-tier engineers recording
drum kits with a pair of cardioid overheads over opposite
sides of the drum kit and pointed more or less parallel,
which would fit in the "spaced pair" category though most
often it seems cardioids are used instead of omni.

check the rec.audio.pro FAQ for more good info on stereo micing.
(and tons of other stuff.)
http://recordist.com/rap-faq/current
check questions 10.1 and 10.2.

and here's a great rambling usenet post about minimalist drum miking,
a lot of it targeted for rock recording but the basic ideas would apply
to lots of stuff:
http://www.mercenary.com/3micdrumstuf.html

and here's a great article about unorthodox drum recording tricks:
http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_underground_drum_sounds/

>It has to do with the the amount of time it
> takes sound to hit one mic and then the other.

right, that's why position is important.

> But please trust me. If you don't do the cross pattern you (could) hear unwanted sounds (and/or dropouts).

dropouts?? what on earth does mic technique have to do with dropouts?

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com