Re: [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 22:08:18 EET

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:34:57PM -0500, linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net wrote:

> One thing I wanted to point out (that they taught us in the recording
> classes I took) was that in the (above) setup, it's important to put
> the mics in a "cross pattern" (like an X). The heads of the mics need
> to be 45 degrees apart from each other. If you don't then you can get
> "phase cancellations".

It's good to have a 45 degree angle, but I think you're getting a bit
confused here. To avoid phase cancellation, especially if/when the
result is mixed to mono (which you have to allow for in the profession
because the product's going to go out on AM radio etc.) you want the
mics *coincident* i.e. as close as possible, hence often crossed with
one above the other.

The 45 degree angle with a standard cardiod mics produces a forward
facing cardiod pattern in the mono mix and gets the optimum stereo
picture. Pointing further apart you get a hole in the middle and pointing
closer you just make it narrower.

But then there's ORTF where you put the mic heads apart and facing 120
degrees away from each other, which breaks all the above rules and yet
some people swear by it for gettin a room ambient right. But not for
drum kits, so I digress...

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk