Re: [linux-audio-user] simple apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] simple apps
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 06:26:42 EET

Hi

On/le Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:34:10 +0100 (MET)
Jane DT <jdennett_AT_science.uva.nl> wrote / a écrit quelque chose comme:

> um, sorry to be silly, but how does ecasound tell me whether my
> mixer levels are suitable for recording the input? don't i need
> something like a VU meter, ..or?

I've not seen the previous posts (I don't know how that happened) so I apologize if I'm totally out of tune. But looking at your post I think I have been through some of the problems you are facing. Here are the solutions I found, hoping it will help:

Straight and good (the one I use):
nrecord
is a simple wave recorder, based on ncurses. It has a vu-meter. I use it with a pipe and ecasound to convert on the fly to mp3.

Old and "deprecated", but should be in every distro.
Esd have a nice vumeter. If your favorite recorder can use esd, you will see the wave coming in.

Jack, new and do-it-all:
I don't even understand how to make it run. I'm just waiting my distro to have it.

Once again, my mailbox didn't give me the full thread so maybe I'm quite offtopic.

Have a nice day.
Guy Clo~
#ICQ 37736372
#219055 counter.li.org