Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone using multiface+cardbus?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone using multiface+cardbus?
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 17:47:33 EET

Hi,

--- Jesse Chappell <jesse_AT_essej.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, R Parker wrote:
>
> > What do you make of my IRQs, they're not
> consistent
> > with what you're describing. Is this some newer
> bios
> > aipc feature?
> >
> > The pci cards begin at 16 with two scsi controlers
> > sharing interupt 16, at 18 we see a third scsi
> > controler that isn't the same as the one on 16.
> It's
> > just the same driver.
>
> Ron, my dual mobo (asus a7m266-d) (amd-762 chipset)
> also uses this IRQ system. As
> discussed before I thought I had tamed latency
> problems, but
> indeed I have not. When I run this command while
> 'jackd -R' is
> running (and a client is connected) I get massive
> overruns on
> the order of 1-2 *seconds* every 5 seconds or so:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/for/bigfile bs=1000
> count=1000000

jackd -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 128 I add "-R" towards the
end.
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|1024|2|48000|swmon|rt

dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/studio/clients/tmp/bigfile
bs=1000 count=1000000

No Xruns

Changed buffer to 256 and left bigfile to be
overwritten. Does that mean a 'rm bigfile' happens?

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 3.964 msecs

Changed buffer to 128 left bigfile to be overwritten

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 11.129 msecs

ran 'jackd -R -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 128' buffer 128
and rm bigfile, I gave it a few seconds before
changing xterm windows.

No xrun

Repeat last test with buffer 64 and no xrun

Repeat last test but didn't 'rm bigfile' no xrun

Interesting, I'd gapped and forgot to use "-R" when I
was experiencing xruns. Including "-R" seems to be
improving performance.

jackd -R -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 64 Have changed the
location of bigfile to the same drive where the OS is
installed. Previous tests are to a scsi LVD 160,
raid5, seven drive array of cheetah 15,000rpm, 3.3ms
seek, 18 gig drives.

No xruns, it took longer to write bigfile

With "-R" I'm going to test recording eight tracks of
audio into Ardour. I'll report those results soon.

The conclusion thus far, for me, is to pull head out
of arse and use the "-R" flag.

ron