Re: [linux-audio-user] Trying to record audio from line in and additional questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Trying to record audio from line in and additional questions
From: Sylvain Robitaille (lau_AT_therockgarden.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 02:59:42 EET

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Julien Patrick Claassen wrote:

> WHY DON'T YOU USE ALSAMIXER, AMIXER OR ALSAMIXERGUI???

No particular reason, other than I already had aumix installed. I did
try with alsamixer at one point, and didn't have any more success with
that, so I felt that I probably just didn't understand the interface
well enough. However, I tried using amixer last night, and I'm at least
confident with that interface, and still no luck:

   : calliope[syl] ~; amixer get Line
   Simple mixer control 'Line',0
     Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
                   cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
     Capture exclusive group: 0
     Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
     Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
     Limits: Playback 0 - 31
     Front Left: Playback 28 [90%] [on] Capture [on]
     Front Right: Playback 28 [90%] [on] Capture [on]

Still I can _hear_ the audio coming in (monitor it from the main output),
but trying to _record_ the audio results in silence being "recorded".

I *know* that I'm probably missing something simple, but I have no idea
what or where else to look at this point. :-(

> I think it is possible to build alsa into the kernel, but I don't
> know how. Anyway, why would you want to do it?

Personal preference, really. Partly because I normally use monolithic
kernels, and partly because I see no point in having a modular kernel
for a dedicated system. The kernel modules that are loaded as I type
this have been loaded since the system was last booted, and will remain
loaded until it gets shut down. What have I gained? With a monolithic
kernel, I could be 100% certain that any and all drivers that I need are
available at boot-time, when my boot-time scripts run (thereby
eliminating the question of why I might be having trouble running jackd
at boot-time when it runs fine from a command prompt).

I appreciate your response and hope someone will be able to offer
additional input that might help.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl_AT_alcor.concordia.ca

Major in Electroacoustic Studies Concordia University Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department Montreal, Quebec, Canada ----------------------------------------------------------------------