Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 13:36:06 EEST

Hi,

--- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> > gotta duck and cringe. :) Guys, with my
> requirements,
> > could it be done better and for less money? It's
> not
>
> Hell no, I'd use exactly the same setup. My
> experience is that it costs
> far more to back up a large disk system than it does
> to populate it with
> disks anyway.

Yikes! I'm using large ide disks to mirror the scsi
raid array.

I've been thinking about switching our archive
strategy from DD3 tape to rewritable DVD. DVD is
probably alot more convienant for clients.

The following is pretty far off the orginal topic.
Reguardless, it's encouraging and exciting to know
what we can expect from professional audio in linux.
BTW, my interest in producing audio with a linux based
environment is the Ardour mission statement where
professional audio is a requirement.

How effective an audio environment can we build on
linux with jackd the high bandwidth, low latency audio
server?

Earlier tonight, I ran the following tasks
symoultaneously:
*Rsync mirror via LAN
*Mastering of stereo file on Mac via 100mb LAN, atalk
*'cp -R 2gig directory from channel A to channel B of
scsi raid controler
*Ardour; playback of eight audio channels
*switching virtual desktops and applications windows,
'ctrl c + hold tab key infinitely' then 'alt + f1,4'
like a mad man, and then checking yahoo mail
repeatedly

jackd started with 'jackd -R -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 512
-r 44100'

During a twenty minute stretch with the above tasks
being done at the same time, I generated one xrun. The
"-p 512" is an exceptable latency for me because I use
an external mixing consol and build the studio and
control room mixes from the input stages.

Anyway, my new point is that professional audio
production in linux is a reality.

ron