RE: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 12:13:26 EDT

Hi Mark,

> I don't think this has to matter much, in Ron's
> case, for the musicians
> since he mixes from a console and not from the
> computer. As I understand his
> setup, Ardour is just recording and delivering audio
> data. However, I do
> wonder how these latencies show up between a track
> that was recorded by
> itself, and then played back. The musician doesn't
> know that the first track
> is coming off the disk earlier, and that his new
> recording is going on the
> disk later, so the two should be out of sync by
> 2*latency, I think.
> Additionally, there is some small latency through
> the console and the
> A/D/D/A and all. Does Ron have to nudge this stuff
> to get it all back in
> sync?

I recently asked about this on the jack and ardour
developers list. I think Jan replied by stating that
he thought jackd might be reading the period buffer
and compensating accordingly--if "-p 512" then move
file to compensate for the inherint latency of that
period.

Six months ago when I produced an album in Ardour, I
did a bunch of nudging on files but I think it was bug
related issues with Ardour that were causing peak
files to misalign. I'm not seeing that behaviour now.

I've got to setup a session but will come back to
learn more about the RAID latency issues that you're
outlining. BTW, I'm running RAID 5 but have thought 10
would be optimal for performance but expensive.

ron