Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 02:48:50 EEST

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
R Parker <rtp405_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I suspect alot of aspiring engineers and musicians
> don't understand what mastering is so it might be
> important for us to explain to people how it differs
> from mixing.

This, I think, is the crux of the biscuit. It took me
years to realize that a significant portion of the things
I was trying to accomplish in the mixing phase were really
mastering issues.

While I think this is not the right place for a textbook on
compression, we will have to give a primer on the basics
of compression as it pertains to mastering. Learning just
a smidge about that made the final version of a project I
was working on come alive!

More importantly, good documentation is NOT written by running
through the menus and writing a paragraph on each one. Such
reference is handy, but I feel it is more important to explain
the work flow of a tool, explaining what the most likely tweaks
are at each stage and how to access them.

I look forward to subscribing to yet another mailing list :)

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com