Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface?
From: derek holzer (derek_AT_x-i.net)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 14:21:41 EEST

Hello,

just got on the list, so greets to all.
actually, this weekend marks the final success of a 6 month battle
learning Debian linux from scratch and getting my HDSP card running on
my laptop. i moved all my PD patches made under windoze over to the
Linux partition, fired up the card and made some real free software
noise finally. have to say I'm finally quite pleased :-)

my setup is: Asus L3 series laptop with Cardbus and Multiface. as of
yesterday, i can run all channels of the HDSP under Alsa and Jack,
although I do not have --realtime priority for the Jack yet [requires a
recompile that I will do this afternoon]. I compiled the Alsa drivers
and Jack myself, and am using .deb packages from Demudi [development
Sarge version, due for "official release" in a few weeks] for most of my
apps, including Ardour, which seems to run fine. [Ardour can be very
tricky to self-compile.. it seems to have hundreds of dependencies and
flags to change!]

I would say that the best resource I have found for the HDSP card is
this page:
http://pd.klingt.org/files/hdsp-howto.html
Dieb is using a Dell Inspiron 8000, but he has gathered just about all
the needed info there to get the HDSP going, assuming you can compile
Alsa and Jack and know how to start them. otherwise, here is a good
place to start [probably everybody knows this one...]:
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

One thing I did discover: Mandrake and Redhat both gave me serious
problems even recognizing the PCMCIA card. seems there was some kind of
IRQ conflict, but I didn't linger long with those distros anyhow, so I
couldn't offer a mor detailed explaination... which distro are you
running, Darren? Another thing for you to investigate would be the
PCMCIA drivers on your laptop. see Dieb13's page above for more info on
that.

good luck!
derek