Re: [linux-audio-user] hum from laptop soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] hum from laptop soundcard
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 19:21:44 EEST

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:33:25PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> One can also try to cut the earth of the laptop's powers supply if
> one has a death wish... ;) I mean, don't do that.

I have the same buzz problem on my laptop...
i wouldn't physically cut the prong, but I have used one of those
little 2-prong to 3-prong adapters - common in the US, you can find them
in any hardware store here, i assume there's an equivalent elsewhere.
You probably know the type - about 1 inch square, it's got a standard US
3-prong outlet on one side and a 2-prong plug on the other,
with a little tab that you're meant to screw into the center screw of
the wall outlet.
If you ensure that the tab doesn't contact anything grounded,
voila, ground is broken.

is this a safety hazard? I'm not really sure.
Be careful.

A better option would be an AC isolation transformer, but those
don't seem to be easy to find in a packaged, ready-to-use form.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's THE LAST SECRETARY-CHUCKER! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)