Re: [linux-audio-user] xmms libcdaudio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xmms libcdaudio
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 12:39:47 EEST

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:51:59 +0100, Daniel James wrote / a écrit:

> xmms can do visual effects on any music source

Yes, you are right... if xmms has the driver for the music source (cd, ogg, mod, mp3).
In the case of audio cds, xmms can "drive" the cd player. This one gives the sound directly to the soundcard. Xmms doesn't "see" any audio data. It just sends "play", "next", "pause' etc to the cd player and sometimes internet servers are knocked to have the playlist. The cd is played in an analog way.

Where you are right is if xmms play the cd digitally, meaning that the data on the audio cd is read, interpreted as audio data, and transformed with some effects and then pushed to the soundcard.
In the first case there is no equalization possible in xmms, nor any visual effects, nor additional cpu power used.
In the second case, even with no equalization and no visual effects (which are now available) there will be some cpu % in use for data decoding.

That's the way I believe it works, but maybe I'm just talking about things I don't really understand.

cheers.
Guy CLO~
#ICQ 37736372
#219055 http://counter.li.org