[linux-audio-user] Disk sampler?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Disk sampler?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 18:09:40 EEST

Hello. Does the linuxsampler.sourceforge.net really work
as a full-blown sampler? What else I need for using it?

>From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com>
>
>As for writing a sampler in csound: [ ... ] and it can use the diskin
>opcode to play sounds directly from disk. However, the latter isn't very
>responsive in realtime IIRC, so for good playback you need to use
>the in-memory approach, which means you're limited by your physical RAM.

Just add the low-delay trick to the diskin opcode. The trick is
dated at least down in 1995 (patent is 1997).

By the way, what Csound I should use? Unofficial linux Csound does not
work with Hankelson's instruments, and official Csound has no ./configure
for easy install. Is PD or similar better supported? Has anyone
orc-to-pd converter so that I may use Hankelson's instruments
in PD?

I must repeat what others have said: we need good examples and demos.
I tried to check good Csound demos but no such thing available.
Examples were from dull to the worst kind of monotonous tones.

Juhana