Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI recording, frustrated, set me straight

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI recording, frustrated, set me straight
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 19:20:28 EEST

Hi,
--- Frank Barknecht <fbar_AT_footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> James Cameron hat gesagt: // James Cameron wrote:
>
> > I'd like to record my Roland RD-150 piano at the
> MIDI protocol level,
> > adjust the tempo, maybe fix a few mistakes, and
> then play it back and
> > capture to audio to CD-R ... all to save having to
> take my piano with
> > me on gigs. It doesn't like the dirt roads.

The piano parts will dictate what the band plays live.
I'll give the overall picture of how I'd do this sort
of thing. Anyone else can provide better suggestions
for the tools to accomplish your goal.

This assumes a good drummer that can follow a click
because the piano parts alone aren't going to be
enough information. For any song that has prerecorded
parts, the drummer must play the song from start to
finish with a click. The drummer will require a damned
good amplifier and monitor or they'd have to use good
headphones. And the band _must_ follow the drummer.

Record every instrument to a digital audio workstation
(DAW) or Hard Disk Recording (HDR) system and click
track everything. I'd probably prefer a cheap HDR,
something like the Yamaha 4416.

With all songs produced, your output to the house
public address system is one stereo pair. You no
longer need a house sound man and your mix will kick
the crap out of every other bands live sound. You mix
the entire band from stage. If a band member isn't
present for the gig simply unmute his prerecorded
track and distribute that nites paycheck amongst the
group minus the missing player--sound better, make
more money. :)

With this aproach you can premix everything. Consider
mixing scenes where the snare reverb is changed from a
small tight reverse gate during a quick tempo to a
large sustained room for a reggae dub. Because the
drummer is playing to a click, he's on cue for every
vital nuance. Nice! Or multipart vocal harmonies, etc,
etc, etc.

You can customize this aproach endlessly. Example, no
prerecorded drums but the drum mix for panning, eq,
compression, effects, etc can all be predetermined.
Sound checks become a tweaking game. But what about
spontanaity? So, the drummer has a foot pedal to
control the AW 4416 transport; disengage transport for
all parts where the band intends to jam. The mix
settings are retained when the transport is stopped
and the drummer simply cues the band in and out of
those parts.

ron

http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/2-muse/quick-toot-muse.html

______footils.org__