Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 13:47:10 EEST

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:11:59AM +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > I know Steve Harris was working on a mastering toolkit.
> >
> > Its now a jack app (which mostly uses LADSPA for its processing):
> > http://sf.net/projects/jamin its nearing the stage where feedback
> > on the UI and sound quality would be useful
>
> I'll give it a go - will there a tarball release for the CVS
> challenged?

Not yet, its not quite ready for its first release yet. As sf's CVS is a bit
messed up at the moment we could put out interrim releases, but I can't as
my external connectivity is up the wall this morning.

> Can Jamin load an audio file without having Jack running? I tend to do
> most of this type of audio tweaking on saved files, so realtime
> operation for a program like this isn't really required here. The
> fewer dependencies, the better!

JAMin cant currently run without jack, the i/o + processing code is very
complicated and making it work for i/o systems in addition to JACK
would make it even worse.

The idea is that you play the audio from a jack transport enabled player
(eg ardour, ecasound or alsaplayer) and control the transport stuff from
jamin. That doesn't work yet, but Jack O'Q. is working on it.

This means that you can link jamin to your ardour (or insert name of
favourite multitrack editor) session and make individual level changes to
source tracks, rather than messing with EQ in the mastering stage. Several
of us think this is the Right ThingTM and should be encoruaged.

jamin may grow the ability to write files out OTOH, for when you dont want
to suck it back into your multitrack, and I think the eventual idea is to
make loading a simple wav file via a jack file player pretty transparent.

- Steve