Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Music and Sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Music and Sound
From: Michael Hall (ninti_AT_ninti.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 09:08:14 EEST

Thanks for that Dave, I guess there's no arguing with the author himself! I
have heard/read that the book is/was very good, but time stands still for no
man or book unfortunately. I have a good collection of expensive, outdated
Linux books that were all wonderful in their day :-)

Although I've played music for 30 years, and worked with Linux web
servers/scripting/databases for 3 years, I've only just put 2 and 2 together
and begun exploring Linux audio and sound. So I look forward to the 2nd Edition.

Mick

Quoting Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net>:

> Michael Hall wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if Dave Phillip's book 'Linux Music and Sound' is still a
> good
> > buy. Given that it was published 3 years ago, would much of the material
> now be
> > out of date?
>
> Hi Michael:
>
> Yes, I'm afraid much of it (most of it?) is out of date. It's probably
> still useful as introductory material for Csound, Common Music Notation,
> and a few other things, but I hesitate to recommend it. I'm supposed to
> be working on the 2nd edition, and I've collected a good lot of material
> for it, but I still need to work out some issues with my publisher.
>
> You're likely to get much more timely information from this list. :)
>
> Best regards,
>
> == Dave Phillips
>
> The Book Of Linux Music & Sound at http://www.nostarch.com/lms.htm
> The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org

Michael Hall Web Development Officer
Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education
Work: mick.hall at batchelor.edu.au (08) 8951 8352
Home: ninti at ninti.com (08) 8953 1442