Re: [linux-audio-user] Device for simple stereo dubbing?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Device for simple stereo dubbing?
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 13:41:16 EEST

Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> google tells me mandrake 9.1 has alsa as default sound system.
[snip]
> lsmod (as root) is your friend here. and if alsa is running, you will
> find a /proc/asound directory.

OK, that directory's not there. lsmod tells me:

Module Size Used by Not tainted
isofs 27988 1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 3516 1 (autoclean)
udf 90464 0 (autoclean)
sg 34636 0 (autoclean)
ppp_deflate 4408 0 (autoclean)
zlib_inflate 21156 0 (autoclean) [isofs ppp_deflate]
zlib_deflate 21144 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
bsd_comp 5336 0 (autoclean)
ide-cd 33856 2 (autoclean)
parport_pc 25096 1 (autoclean)
lp 8096 0 (autoclean)
parport 34176 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
es1371 29000 2
soundcore 6276 0 [es1371]
ac97_codec 12488 0 [es1371]
gameport 3316 0 [es1371]
nfsd 74256 8 (autoclean)
ppp_async 9216 1
ppp_generic 24060 3 [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc 6564 1 [ppp_generic]
af_packet 14952 0 (autoclean)
floppy 55132 0
tulip 44032 0 (autoclean) (unused)
supermount 15296 3 (autoclean)
sr_mod 16920 0
cdrom 31648 0 [ide-cd sr_mod]
scsimon 9280 0 (unused)
usb-storage 72952 0
scsi_mod 103284 4 [sg sr_mod scsimon usb-storage]
usb-uhci 24652 0 (unused)
usbcore 72992 1 [usb-storage usb-uhci]
rtc 8060 0 (autoclean)
ext3 59916 3
jbd 38972 3 [ext3]

...which suggests to me that I'm not running alsa. Might something that
I'd installed have removed it?

urpmi alsa
tells me
Everything already installed

which makes me think that I just have to turn it on somehow.