Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart Problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart Problem
From: BartonBosch_AT_aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 08:11:06 EEST

snd-mpu401-uart is the driver for the external MIDI port (you'd need a
gameport/MIDI adapter for this). snd-rawmidi is an ALSA module
handling device file management and buffering for MIDI ports.
snd-opl3-lib is the driver for the OPL3 FM synth.

Thanks, got it. So if I wanted to deal with the FM sound quality I could use the legacy synth?

I guess Muse uses the ALSA sequencer. Run "aconnect -o" to see a list
of output ports.

This is the output of aconnect -o when both TiMidity and MusE are running:

[barton_AT_localhost barton]$ aconnect -o
client 128: 'Client-128' [type=user]
    0 'TiMidity port 0 '
    1 'TiMidity port 1 '
client 129: 'MusE Sequencer' [type=user]
    0 'MusE Port 0 '

>Checking /proc/asound/devices does not list any midi devices,

Did you specifiy the parameters for snd-ymfpci in modules.conf?
(e.g. mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388)

No I didn't. So to use alsa with the midi port that is on the motherboard I would need to configure the memory address mpu_port=0x330 in /etcmodules.conf? Does the line need to go in a specific place, and is that the exact syntax? Is this documented somewhere? I have installed alsa manually on this machine before (this time I used the Planet RPMs and alsaconf) and I don't remember seeing anything that referrred to memory addresses for the midi ports.

Thanks,

Barton