Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart Problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart Problem
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 09:59:03 EEST

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:05:51 -0400, BartonBosch_AT_aol.com wrote / a écrit:

[snip]
>I have been having some problems with crackling noises which I assume are caused by MusE and or the softsynth overloading the processor when playing back a multitrack midi file.

no problem here on a P 5OO + timidity, without root provileges. The fact that you have Planet CCRMA packages is really a good thing. Don't forget to check

        cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency

This command should return "1". About crackles, I had a lot with fluidsynth before, so I use timidity now. I use fluidsynth for loading a particuliar sound, instead of all the 127 GM sounds of timidity.

> Today I did some experimenting with TiMidity as the softsynth for MusE -- I got it configured with timidity -iA in one terminal and muse -R in another. Then in the midiport configuration it popped up with timidity port 0 for the first midi port. Unfortunately this produced no sounds on testing. I opened the track info number and tried to select a preset, but all that it had was "???" -- no patches to select from.
>
> Is there another switch that needs to be thrown to load sounds into TiMidity? Something else?

Following Planet CCRMA web page advices, I launch timidity server this way:

/usr/bin/timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os

Hope it helps.

GuyCLO~
#219055 http://counter.li.org
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/index.html
Change your Linux PC in a Rythm Station with holborn's GMORGAN:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guy.clotilde/GMORGAN/index.html