Re: [linux-audio-user] SYSEX dumping/receiving in linux?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SYSEX dumping/receiving in linux?
From: Tommi Sakari Uimonen (tuimonen_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 18:29:51 EEST

> > as I'm googling around, I've read a couple of things about being able to do
> > cat <sysexfilename> >/dev/midi00
> >
> > but that has not yet worked :)
>
> and it wont in general because the timing is wrong - too fast i guess.

I've managed to do it succesfully with /dev/sequencer and I'm using ALSA.

cat sysex.txt > /dev/sequencer

and my Korg 03R/W receives them happily. Of course the file must be
carefully hand crafted, with hexedit or similar. And remember the
manufacturer ID, if it doesn't match your synth, it discards the sysex
string.

The timing shouldn't be an issue unless you want to send sysexes at
specific time, eg. when synth is playing and you want to tweak the
parameters realtime.

Tommi Uimonen