Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 19:31:06 EEST

On Thursday 09 October 2003 10:37, Greg Reddin wrote:
> I'm probably showing off my inexperience here, but what about
> SGI? I thought all the Silicon Graphics stuff had been ported
> to Linux and Linux was becoming the OS of choice for Hollywood
> DM people who used to rely on SGI because it's Unix-based, and
> all that. Is that not true?

I think Linux may well be more usable (by non-Linux-advocates)
for certain kinds of film work than it is for audio work
presently, due in large part to the availability of things like
Maya. I don't think any equivalent sea change has happened on
the audio side, though Ardour and the like could well get there
soon.

Something like a Protools port (don't mean to get that thread
started again) would be equivalent to the Maya situation: it
would get Linux the foot in the door it needs to be used in more
mainstream studios. The type of guys who went to Cool Edit Pro
instead of buying Apple kit will eventually try Linux for
similar reasons. Meanwhile, it's Apple's game to lose.

Rob