Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools (long!)
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 21:19:52 EEST

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:31:06PM -0400, Rob wrote:
> I think Linux may well be more usable (by non-Linux-advocates)
> for certain kinds of film work than it is for audio work
> presently, due in large part to the availability of things like
> Maya. I don't think any equivalent sea change has happened on
> the audio side, though Ardour and the like could well get there
> soon.

I think ardour might have a chance of sneaking us into the
audio industry through the back door of the aforementioned
film industry :-) For anyone who's not on ardour-dev: Paul D.
has some work that should be done by ardour 1.0 that enables it
to support synchronized playback of animatics, and building on that,
video playback in the future. (I'm not clear on whether this is
handled by a special kind of track within ardour, or a separate
jack client.) That might be interesting to production
companies: they can twiddle the source to fit their needs, avoid
some number of expensive licenses, etc. just as they've done with
linux.

And, I can't seem to remember... Wasn't one of the good editors
partly funded at some point by a film studio? Did I just make that up?
Audacity? Sweep? Rezound? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's THE FAST LYNX! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)