[linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools/mp3 vs. etc..

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: prebuilt tools/mp3 vs. etc..
From: Jonathan Segel (jsegel_AT_magneticmotorworks.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 21:02:43 EEST

>On Friday 10 October 2003 23:12, Jan Depner wrote:
> You work on code for supercollider? Interesting. A close friend of
> > mine was working on that before it got shut down. PhD in particle
>> physics. Worked at Fermi Lab prior to that. He uses Linux now as do
> > I. What, exactly, was your point?

oh no! I mean SuperCollider the music language app. look at
http://www.audiosynth.com
and help make the linux port of SC server!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/supercollider/

as to my original point, it's mostly being summed up in the other
thread of mp3 vs. ogg etc...

>Matthias writes:
>Well spoken! I think this is not only related to ogg, it's related to most of
>the technology in the linux audio scene. We need to show people that it can
>actually be used to create great stuff.
>
>IMPO Linux audio isn't ready for the average Windows/Mac-user, but there is

originally, I wrote to respond to questions regarding a lack of
prebuilt tools, a small user base, etc. I was giving my perspective
as an educated, experienced studio and computer music user, but
coming from the professional and academic worlds wherein we all used
Macintosh. My point was that I was excited by the prospect of
learning morel, being on the cutting edge, being in the community of
Linux users, but that, even as an experienced user, I was finding it
very very difficult to make the transition, but I thought it might be
intersting to understand why I was learning linux. The philosophizing
came in the form of questions like: "is it a good thing or a bad
thing to be an elite group of users?" "do linux audio users want to
exist as part of a specifically educated group or to make it useable
by joe-reason user?" basically pointing out that when you become so
far inside a specific knowledge base it is sometimes hard to see how
opaque it may appear from outside --cf. improv or avant-garde music
cliques...

I was just poking the hornet's nest, as usual. please don't take this
sort of response as complaining! I am really happy with the available
sounds and software and you can expect a note somewhere on any
releases i make from now on that linux was used.

Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
               4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
   jsegel_AT_magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite_AT_yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com
    tel (510) 534 7825  cell (510) 484 7415  fax (425) 955 4495