RE: [linux-audio-user] (non)conformity, was Re: That whole mp3 vs.ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] (non)conformity, was Re: That whole mp3 vs.ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 01:54:31 EEST

Jan,
   I've already happily wasted probably 2 hours going through that web site
and dreaming about doing this. It looks like great fun, but beyond my
abilities...

   I was sort of surprised that this is not really an inexpensive way to get
an instrument put together, compared to buying one. I always sort of assume
that doing it yourself should not be terribly expensive, but in this case
that cost of the parts seems like it could be more expensive. Worth it if
you know how it's going to turn out. Very little resale value for
instruments like this. (I think...)

   Also, to get a Strat body shape, or a Tele body shape, don't you really
need to have the power tools to cut the body wood? Or maybe I could take it
somewhere and pay someone to do that?

   I know nothing about this sort of stuff.

   With all that in mind, how does one who's never done anything like this
take the leap? What's the chance of getting an instrument that stacks up to
the production stuff? I'd do it if I thought I could do something
approaching the quality of an Alembic.

Cheers,
Mark