Re: [linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples
From: dwillis_AT_stx.rr.com
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 15:40:55 EEST

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Michal Seta wrote:

> Actually, I think negativland encourage sampling...
>
> However, I just remembered that Kim Cascone (www.anechoicmedia.com) put
> out a cd called 'Parasites' which had one long track and some 20 short
> (< 1 min) tracks which were intended to be sampled and built into other
> sound structures (just like parasites would evolve/develop).

i forgot that many years ago the shamen's "move any mountain" cd single
had all the different unmixed samples from that song as separate tracks on
the disc. i was too young then to be able to buy a sampler (and ram was
$50 per megabyte!), and computers weren't used for much more than midi
sequencers. someone stole that disc before i could do anything with it,
and i never saw it anywhere again. reminds me of the time my friend and i
remixed smothered hope with cool edit - every little change we made took 5
to 10 minutes, and we went outside everytime to smoke.

-dave
(wishing he still had all his cd and vinyl singles that were stolen, and
not caring about the albums).