[linux-audio-user] 2 questions ree: via vt8233

Subject: [linux-audio-user] 2 questions ree: via vt8233
From: Matt Price (matt.price_AT_utoronto.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 19:47:45 EEST

Hi,

running debian sid with a 2.4.18 kernel and alsa 0.9.5, I think.
Folks on this list and alsa-user helped me get alsa working with my
onboard sound, via vt8233, about a year ago. It works ok, but I've
got 1 problem and one question.

PROBLEM: every once in a while -- not often -- sound will hang and
bring the whole system down; this happens with xmms, alsaplayer, and
zinf, so I don't think it's strictly the playback software's fault.
usually this isn't a catastrophe, since this is a workstation, not a
heavy-duty server, but I'd like it not to happen. Anyone see this
behaviour before, or know how I should try to diagnose it?

QUESTION: My sound card has three analog outs (green, blue, pink). I
gues sthese are for a 5.1 surround sound system or something, but I'd
like to try to have one stereo out go to my cheapo speakers, and one
go to my headphones. Unfortunately I'm unable to get a signal out of
anything other than the pink out. The others just give static and
wierd stuff, even with all the outputs turned up in alsamixer. Anyone
know if it's possible to set this up the way I want? Even general
hints abbout how 5.1 systems work would probably be really helpful.

thanks loads,

matt