Re: [linux-audio-user] Firewire, what's the story?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Firewire, what's the story?
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 21:17:09 EET

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 10:55, lee_AT_fallingforward.net wrote:
> I have never tried any of this, but I have Gentoo Linux running on an
> Apple G3 Powerbook. While compiling the 2.4.22-ben2 kernel I noticed the
> option:
>
> (M) IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support (EXPERIMENTAL -->
> (M) IEC61833-1 Plug support
> (M) IEC61883-6 (Audio transmission) support
>
> Looks like someone's working on it. You can probably find more information
> on the web by searching for those IEC strings.
>
> FWIW - my firewire hard disk works with this kernel.
>
> -lee

Hi,
   mlan & 61883 are related, but they are not identical. Also, I think
(could be wrong) that the Linux 1394 implementation of 61883 is either
receive or transmit only, so I don't think you could both send and
receive, but again, I could be wrong about that.

   Bob Ham has just checked in an experimental set of features to the
newest revision of Jack that begin to use 1394 as a Jack transport. My
original thought on that was that it would be good for multiple PCs
talking to each other, but Bob's recent messages looked like he was
starting to think about devices like these in the future.

   Then again, mlan is not 61883, but rather a protocol on top and
around 61883 to allow studio devices to become a studio network, and
then transfer both audio and MIDI over 1394.

Maybe we're getting closer? I hope so.

- Mark