Re: [linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works: Debian Stable -> Unstable

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works: Debian Stable -> Unstable
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 23:58:26 EET

On Sunday 28 December 2003 21:18, derek holzer wrote:
> Just a quick note: trying to 'apt-get install demudi-all' over anything
> but Debian Woody will end in tears.

Yes, you're right and this package is not available on all distributions
either, so ignore that suggestion.

> My experience is that newer KDE
> packages, in particular, create a rat's-nest of dependencies which get
> quickly broken by down-grading to the needs of the DeMuDi packages,
> especially qjackctl and some of the midi ones that use QT. Afraid you'll
> have to choose between a fancy desktop and a full-on DeMuDi box for the
> time being...

Agreed.

I'm having a reasonable degree of succes with my mixed system on this. This
is not a recommended strategy, by the way kids :-] I'm mostly running
debian/testing with kde-3.1.4 and I've managed to install an awful lot of
audio apps either from the Agnula-1.1 archive or Debian/Unstable on top of
that. It's taken a fair amount of juggling and I've not really checked out
how much of it Actually Works. The one critical unresolved dependency is with
qjackconnect, which still depends on the old libqt-mt, qjackctl-0.0.9a-1 is
fine. It does mean I'm not using some QT audio apps, I have both Rosegarden4
and MusE installed. Downgrading to meet the needs of DeMuDi-1.0 would cause
all sorts of problems. I do suspect that by the time I get it working it will
be more 'unstable' than 'testing'. I'm working on the basis that all the
packages I want will filter through into the testing archive sooner or later
and I'll kind of meet them halfway. Agnula/DeMuDi-1.1 is based on a recent
'snapshot' of unstable (aka 'sid') FTWDK.

While all of this is madly gay, It wouldn't do for every day, I really live
on hda, the drive ... next .. door. Which incidentally is running
Agnula/DeMuDi-1.0 on top of Woody and it all works fine [now :-] apart from
some b0rked bits of kde2, which I can live without. For the first time user,
start here, it's all rather old compared to what people are talking about on
this list. I guess the point I'm making is the the apt system is flexible
enough that you can integrate packages from other debian-based archives at
any point simply by adding them to your /etc/apt/sources.list and also gives
you a great deal of control over that by editing /etc/apt/preferences and
using apt-pinning. You /do/ have to decide whether you want a DAW or an
office box, however.

I've only been using Debian a year so I'm still a relative newbie and I find
this pretty straightforward. It does require having a reasonable amount of
time to spend reading and configuring. If you're not up for that, don't use
Debian :-)

cheers

tim hall