Re: [linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 01:14:11 EET

Hallo,
Matthew Allen hat gesagt: // Matthew Allen wrote:

> Ahh, funny you should ask this. I have been experimenting with
> both Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org) and FVWM (http://www.fvwm.org)
> under CCRMA (fedora). I originally went with fluxbox but, at least for
> me, it actually had to much extra stuff (slit, tabs, icon bar). I really
> only needed a root menu, hotkeys and a pager, after a bunch of looking
> around I ended up with FVWM. Its learning curve is a bit daunting (this
> is linux isn't it?) but that is sort of mitigated by 2 things: The sheer
> amount of stuff you could do with it if you wanted, and the FVWM-themes
> project (http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net)

Judging by file size, fluxbox is rather bloated, but blackbox comes
out smallest - not counting the anorectic window managers like swm or
failsafewm (ouch!) from www.small-window-manager.de:

-rwxrwxr-x 1 freak freak 7404 Feb 18 23:58 failsafewm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 257472 Apr 14 2003 /usr/bin/blackbox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 359160 Mar 23 2003 /usr/bin/fvwm2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 406668 Mar 13 2003 /usr/bin/icewm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 625828 Jan 27 2003 /usr/bin/fluxbox

Personally I run blackbox. I tried fluxbox as well, but found, that I
don't use any of the features in fluxbox, that aren't in blackbox as
well, so I went back to black.

My KDE/Gnome is the minibar: http://www.phed.org/miniProject/ Source
apparently gone, mirrored at http://footils.org/pkg/minifbar-0.06.tgz

ciao