Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 06:11:29 EET

On Saturday 21 February 2004 22:42, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Fsck that. They can come help Specimen, which is fully
> > usable now, if not feature rich. Or they can work on SimSam
> Nice attitude. While this ethic is understandable it doesn't
> help progressions very much.

I disagree. By avoiding black-hole "design projects" that put
out PR and never go anywhere, coders who are actually productive
have more time available to bring other, more active projects up
to speed, while preventing said black hole projects from
projecting the illusion of active development and sucking in
other developers. People say free software is a meritocracy,
but really, it's a who-produces-the-most-working-code-ocracy.
And it works.

I'm not familiar with the Linux sampler project nor with Pete's
program, so this is a general statement and not specifically
about those two. I am involved with Gambas, though, a VB-like
language for Linux, perhaps the only one you can use for real
projects currently, and people have always made comments like
"Why don't you merge your project with something more
established like KBasic?" KBasic being another "get lots of
press, design for 3 years and then never release any working
code" black hole of a project. It's not a unique situation
(remember how GNOME Office was gonna gut and then replace
Openoffice?) and it's frustrating for any developer who actually
produces code to hear.

Rob