Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_ml1.net)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 07:26:22 EET

At Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:42:31 +0900,
Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Nice attitude. While this ethic is understandable it doesn't help
> progressions very much.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The progressions of what? My attitude may be *indirectly* detrimental
to Linux Sampler (which I doubt, because Specimen is the first program
above 500 lines I've ever written; I would just hinder those guys).
It is _not_ detrimental to the Linux Audio Scene, and it is beneficial
to Specimen. And I daresay that by devoting myself to Specimen I am
improving the LAS, but perhaps I'm an egomaniac.

If what I'm doing does hurt LinuxSampler (yeah, right...), I can't say
I feel any remorse. If that makes me a jerk in your eyes, so be it.

> Maybe now you've had a couple of days to think
> rationally about it you have changed your mind anyway.

Apart from Evil Laughter(TM), which I thought was funny, I couldn't
see one thing irrational about my statement. The gist of it was "It
makes more sense to improve a living project than to have maintainers
of said project contribute to the creation of what is currently a
castle in the sky." Asking me to pool my efforts with SimSam's author
makes sense to me(until you account for the fact that I don't know QT
and hate C++, hence Specimen), but I don't see why I should drop my
project and work on LinuxSampler.

And if you took offense to my intent to whore their code, remember
that this is a two way street and they can just as easily (and I
encourage it) whore my code. The absolute number one reason I started
writing Specimen was because I couldn't find anything that did what I
wanted already (and at the time I thought SimSam was dead, plus the
aforementioned reasons for not working on that). Whatever produces
the best tool for the job is fine by me. Naturally I want that to be
my tool, and I obviously think it will or else I wouldn't be doing
this, but it's not like my opinion of LinuxSampler is anything but my
honest-to-dog pragmatic evaluation.

And who knows, maybe I'm helping LinuxSampler more by being
pessimistic than by contributing my incompetence? Perhaps Steve
Harris, upon reading my prior message, launched into a raging ninja
coding fury, adding feature upon feature to LinuxSampler (including a
explode-competition's-head button), until it is poised, ready to
strike and crush all who oppose it.

[pb]

P.S. Bwahahaha!

P.P.S. Mark: I'm amazed that what I thought was merely an expression
of a negative opinion is considered "going off." Puh-lease.